Gwen Jorgensen has a triathlon resume that might cause you to do a double-take. And yet, she is ready to move on, change sports entirely and focus exclusively on running for the 2021 Olympic Games.
In this special episode fueled by the listener questions, sourced from social media, Gwen explains why she decided to mix things up and how passion lies at the heart of everything she does. She also talks about her current training schedule, how she’s honed her nutrition routine and more in the newest episode of the CoachCast!
- “I didn’t choose triathlon. I was recruited into the sport of triathlon and anytime you’re really good at something, I think you have enjoyment, but there were certain areas of triathlon that I just loathed.”
- “I have this inner drive to master whatever I’m doing. And so running was something that I felt like I had improved my running throughout triathlon, but I hadn’t mastered it yet. And I wanted to see like, how fast can I be as a runner?”
- “Anyone with kids knows that first year, the sleep is hit or miss. And that plays a huge role in recovery. I want to have more kids, but for me, I don’t think I personally could have another kid and come back again. It’s just incredibly difficult.”
- “I have a pretty strong gut, but I also take my nutrition as a pro athlete, you know, I eat the same thing right before my run every morning…I’m pretty uniform in what I put in my body.”
- “I think everyone’s struggled this year, but for me, sport has been the one constant… I did my speed endurance workout on Tuesday. I did my endurance workout on Friday. I did my long run on Sunday and it just gave me peace of mind. And it gave me structure when so many things around me, I couldn’t control.”